Save your sanity, time & money!

Need solutions for the medication, medical appliances and/or medical travel that you can't afford? READ EMPOWER Yourself.

A Health Information Management professional, I survived a life-threatening emergency with information that only a person of my professional experience would know. And I’m sharing it!

Thursday, June 26, 2014

You can Celebrate My Academic Success with Me!

B'SD

Sivan 28, 5774


The EMPOWER Yourself book shares insights into how to overcome scary, expensive and painful setbacks. You can use those insights on medical, mental health or other issues in your life.

How effective can those insights be? Check out this Facebook exchange about my success at passing a year of astonishingly difficult ICD10 medical coding studies, despite being certifiably disabled.


Here's a related facebook discussion: 


Looking forward to a confirmed agreement to require companies with over 100 employees to hire at least 3% disabled people. See http://bit.ly/1uSiVcC
LikeLike ·  · Promote · 
  • Chani Smith and Sarah Alpert like this.
  • Elouise Ghedini I don't get this at all, as a female engineer, (a rare breed in the UK at least- women are badly represented in the engineering sector) I know they used (still do?) to make quotas for us and I found it degrading, I didn't want to be employed to meet a quota, I wanted employment because of my merit. This is patronizing. I feel the same way about political party lists too. May be for the disabled it is different but I suspect not. I have to wonder if it is anti discrimination regulations for the interview purposes that need addressing, or providing legal assistance to those who have perhaps been passed over for a job that they should have got but didn't because they were discriminated against. Or what about encouraging them to take on a disabled person by giving tax credit to compensate the company for giving the job to someone who might not be able to do the job as well/fast as an abled body person might. I don't think that setting artificial quotas gets to the root of the problem.
  • Caryn Walkenfeld Lipson Quotas - no,. Educating employers about the benefits of hiring the right employee - even if they are disabled - yes.
    21 hours ago · Unlike · 2
  • Caryn Walkenfeld Lipson We only have to look at the US to see the bad effects of quotas.
  • Yocheved Golani Elouise I agree that people deserve to be hired on merit. But the fully functional among us struggle to see things that way. Sad, true, and quite impoverishing.
  • Elouise Ghedini Yocheved Golani Like I say I think we need to be more creative than just making quotas. Handing out quotas is putting a patch on a deeper problem. I remember under such a quota system, even though I topped out in school with my grades, entering the w...See More
    8 hours ago · Like · 1
  • Yocheved Golani Elouise you're chatting with a woman who is certifiably disabled and just passed an astonishingly difficult year of medical and medical coding studies that non-disabled people fail. Often. Many people with disabilities go forth with determination, learning and using the adaptive skills we need. We struggle to convince society at large that we have much to contribute. Quotas are a miserable compromise for starting off social change. But gosh darn it, we need every bit of legislative help. I have more to share on the topic, but it is not for social media. If any legislators, disability advocates or journalists Katie ClarkeJennifer Laszlo MizrahiHillel Kuttler, et al) care to contact me, please do so. I will be thrilled to apprise you of the wealth within people of varying abilities.
  • Yocheved Golani I want to use this opportunity to clue in my FB friends that medical coders across America have quit the profession or retired early because they could not master the I10 coding system (and relevant studies that go with it). I have achieved what many fully-abled people can't. THAT is quite a life lesson for the employment world at large. And just in case anyone forgot, I overcame the blinding, almost fatal effects of a benign brain tumor after life-saving emergency brain surgery. I graduated from a skinny, pale and weak patient using a walker to a lady whose ever-better strength, vigor and eyesight are now being studied by formerly skeptical medical professionals - some of whom had written me off when I was initially diagnosed.





Buy the E-book or print edition of EMPOWER Yourself to Cope with a Medical Challenge.  



Face Your Medical Problems with Dignity. Face Your Future with Optimism. 

Feel the power you create when you choose to go forward despite setbacks.

 

No comments: