Save your sanity, time & money!

Need solutions for the medication, medical appliances and/or medical travel that you can't afford? READ EMPOWER Yourself.

A Health Information Management professional, I survived a life-threatening emergency with information that only a person of my professional experience would know. And I’m sharing it!

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Brain Tumor Awareness Month and Dealing with an Invisible Disability!

B'SD

17 Iyar, 5778

If you're a longtime fan of this blog, you know that I'm a survivor of a non-cancerous but very deadly brain tumor (a petroclival tentorial meningioma, which means it was at the base of the skull, under the brain). 

Life-saving emergency surgery saved my life, but the tumor had damaged me in several ways. Physical, occupational and speech therapy helped me to fashion a fresh take on life. That took a lot of physical and emotional effort on my part.

In honor of Brain Tumor Awareness Month, I shared some information on one of my facebook pages moments ago. And I shared a bit of insight into what having an invisible disability means to a person.






Yocheved Golani shared a post.
8 hrs
This month, let's raise our voices together to make people aware of the obstacles we face and how we can overcome them.



For Brain Tumor Awareness Month (BTAM), join us in raising the profile of the disease and taking action to fund new research and an eventual cure.
BLOG.BRAINTUMOR.ORG
Comments
Yocheved Golani A bit of insight into some of the ramifications: Ever notice that I tend to hold something in each hand when I walk? It's a coping mechanism for bypassing the vertigo aka proprioception problem which can overcome my senses and leave me floundering to recover my balance. I need cues to alert my mind that I am standing upright, not at an angle, not falling and not upside down. Feeling the objects in my hands provides a tactile cue to my orientation on the planet. However, my newer, genius physical therapist took me past that stage. I can now walk without assistance, empty-handed. It's been a long sought goal. 

Please focus on compassion for someone dealing with an invisible disability. There are too many to count. And some of us simply deserve respect for the efforts we make whether the public perceives them or not.

Manage




Reply1mEdited




I survived the ordeal based on intuition, and as a supervisor of medical records and medical record coding. My wide-ranging knowledge of coping mechanisms within the medical world is an accumulation of facts rarely known to non-medical members of the public.

I poured that information into the E-book and print editions of EMPOWER Yourself to Cope with a Medical Challenge

BUY your copy today, and find out how to simplify your recovery from some sort of medical or mental health setback. Get your grin back when you read 








Face Your Medical Problems with Dignity. Face Your Future with Optimism.

Fill your time and efforts with purpose, and a sense of pride.

No comments: