Save your sanity, time & money!

Need solutions for the medication, medical appliances and/or medical travel that you can't afford? READ EMPOWER Yourself.

A Health Information Management professional, I survived a life-threatening emergency with information that only a person of my professional experience would know. And I’m sharing it!

Monday, January 28, 2013

Sing Your Way to Better Sight and/or Health!

B'SD

16 Shvat, 5773

Some days you read or hear about someone who has advice for other people. You end up wondering "Do you just tell other people what to do or do you take your own advice, too?"

In my case, the answer is "YES! I thrive by taking my own advice (that's how I know it can help you, too)."


In the


book's Find Ways to Smile section, you can read that I'd written "... keep a journal or a blog of your struggles, victories, and whatever else you wish to include. Focus on progress. It's your life. Find out what works for you and use it. I don’t have all the answers and you might find new ones I don't know about. Look for 'em!"

The passage is an invitation to keep your options and mind open to new possibilities over time.



Here's how I followed that advice I've given to you: 

Two summers ago, I addressed an audience about the EMPOWER You to Cope with a Medical Challenge book during one of my speaking tours. After my presentation a woman in the audience  introduced herself to me. She explained that she is a vocal pedagogue and vocal  reconstructionist. The exclusive teacher of the Giro-Vocal Motion technique, Miriam Jaskierowicz Arman has authored books about GVM, popularly called the Bel Canto Technique (you can find her books and CDs by entering Miriam's name in the search bar at Amazon.com). 

Miriam commented that her teaching technique could improve my sight. She invited me to take classes at her Music Vision Institute.

I thought, "Hmm, she's a member of the world-famous Who's Who. This could be worth checking out."

I had nothing to lose and much to gain. I made necessary preparations to take the course and to arrange food plus housing accommodations for that far-from-home experience.

This past November I took 15 hours' worth of Miriam's classes. I spent several days learning the GVM technique for voice training, praying it would improve my sight.

Now we are in January.

I've practiced the technique Miriam taught me for a few months, now. My goal is not to become a professional nor better singer, but to see better. 

Get ready for a 
surprise ending 
to this story!

Yesterday I did my GVM exercises and immediately felt a "snap" in the temple of my skull, where the brain surgeon had cut my head open in 2005. 

Though the results of the life-saving surgery are an unfolding miracle,  the experience came with a physical price: partial facial paralysis. I've had one drooping cheek plus a numbness affecting my lip and the ability to speak. The problems have resolved incrementally over time, but they have persisted to some extent.

Suddenly the droopy eyelid on that side of my face flew up into the correct position as I finished my GVM practice. It has stayed in the correct spot since then. I no longer feel the tightness of a pinched nerve that had been messed up by the life-saving surgery. The formerly flaccid cheek now stands firmly against my cheekbone. The affected part of my lip better heeds my efforts to speak or to sing. I sound a bit clearer, too.

I credit the GVM technique for the healing tug on my optic nerve and eye muscles, and for the expansion of my cranial fusion areas (the area that "snapped"). 

Some craniosacral and chakra therapy I undergo each month helped to further improve the muscle tone and appearance of my eyelid.  My cheeks are now symmetrical, too. Total bonus!

So much for me. 
Let's get back to YOU.

Dear readers, the EMPOWER You to Cope with a Medical Challenge book also mentions How to Make Your Moods Work for You. Passages explain how you can facilitate miracles in your life despite past anger, despair, pain and, well, fill in the blank with your problems!

Let me know which lines in the book EMPOWER You to Cope with a Medical Challenge.

The advice I gave from cover to cover works for me, too. Let's share the miracles. There's more than one way to sing yourself to better health ;^ D


  Buy the E-book or print edition today to open yourself or someone you love to healing options. Click on the words EMPOWER Yourself to Cope with a Medical Challenge.  

Face Your Medical Problems with Dignity. Face Your Future with Optimism. 

Keep your mind and smile wide open. You'll end up better off for the effort.

 

No comments: