Save your sanity, time & money!

Need solutions for the medication, medical appliances and/or medical travel that you can't afford? READ EMPOWER Yourself.

A Health Information Management professional, I survived a life-threatening emergency with information that only a person of my professional experience would know. And I’m sharing it!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Turn off Fluorescent Lights, Prevent Breast Cancer!



15 Adar Alef 5768




A segment in my book addresses the reason I live an organic lifestyle and how much it demonstrably improves my health. Early to bed, early to rise is one of my lifestyle habits. Lighting my home with only incandescent bulbs and beautiful candles (and often olive oil with floating wicks) is another.

Here's a hint of why I belive in that behavior and how much benefit all of us can have by sticking with the rules of nature. A recent Washington Post article indicated that...

Women who live in neighborhoods with large amounts of nighttime illumination are more likely to get breast cancer than those who live in areas where nocturnal darkness prevails, according to an unusual study that overlaid satellite images of Earth onto cancer registries.The finding adds credence to the hypothesis that exposure to too much light at night can raise the risk of breast cancer by interfering with the brain's production of a tumor-suppressing hormone...




... the researchers found the breast cancer rate in localities with average night lighting to be 37 percent higher than in communities with the lowest amount of light; and they noted that the rate was higher by an additional 27 percent in areas with the highest amount of light.Abraham Haim, a University of Haifa chronobiologist involved in the study, said the findings raise questions about the recent push to switch to energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs, which suppress melatonin production more than conventional incandescent bulbs. "This may be a disaster in another 20 years," Haim said, "and you won't be able to reverse what we did by mistake."

... Jim Burch, a
University of South Carolina epidemiologist and biostatistician familiar with the study, called the approach and findings "fascinating." "The study has limitations," including not measuring levels of indoor lighting, "but it supports the overall idea," Burch said. "I think there is enough evidence to suggest we ought to be thinking about this more carefully."


Ladies and gentlemen, I learned about this phenomenon while earning my Health Information Management degree years ago. Our pituitary glands are regulated by light/dark.

Eskimos have slightly altered onsets of adolescence and differences in their monthly menstrual cycles than the rest of us, for obvious reasons.

The Moral of the Lesson in that news article is that "Apparently too much light stimulaton kicks the pituitary gland into hyperdrive and ..."

READ THE ENTIRE STORY AT :

Lights at Night Are Linked to Breast CancerStudy Bolsters Theory About Interference With Production of Key Hormone

and at

Studies Warn Of Mercury Risk In Energy-Saving Bulbs

Protect babies, women, and everybody else endangered by fluorescent lighting fixtures!



And do study the relevant passages I wrote in
It's MY Crisis! And I’ll Cry if I Need To
to learn about other benefits of a low-tech lifestyle.


Nitey-nite from Israel, from where I yawned while posting this message...

MARCH 31 2009 UPDATE:
More Fluorescent Lighting Health Hazards - Humans and Animals

~*~*~*~

Suffering with a Medical Crisis?

Been there, done that, wrote a book about it, and going forward into the future.

Want to learn many more can-do healing/coping strategies?

Then read, benefit from, and tell others about

It's MY Crisis! And I’ll Cry if I Need To.

Give someone a copy of It's MY Crisis! And I’ll Cry if I Need To.

Order it in book stores anywhere if it’s not on the shelves.

It's MY Crisis! And I’ll Cry if I Need To can be shipped worldwide.

Specialty editions are available for large organizations.

SAVE on large orders of It's MY Crisis! when you click https://secure.booklocker.com/booklocker/wholesale/order.php


To your good health,

Yojeved Golani
Coping with a Medical Crisis?
Make the Changes You Need in Your Life.


No comments: