I'm proud to share the news of:
Musella Foundation For Brain Tumor Research & Information
Spring 2009 Update
1. I would like to share with you some exciting news. I will be receiving the Voices Award from Voices Against Brain Cancer (VABC). The Voices Award is given for dedication and charitable giving to brain cancer research and support. This award will be presented at VABCs fourth annual fundraising event, Sounding Off For A Cure, to be held on Thursday, June 4, 2009 from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM at Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. For details on attending and for information about VABC, visit them online at http://www.voicesagainstbraincancer.org/
The Musella Foundation has been working together with VABC to raise brain tumor awareness and to raise money for brain tumor research. We will be working together in October for the first ever Brain Tumor Awareness Day at the Nassau Coliseum for the home opener of the New York Islanders. (Save the date!). We recently awarded our first joint grant, for an exciting research project on a new, safer and more effective type of radiation for brain tumors, here on Long Island at Brookhaven National Lab. We hope to fund more research projects together in the future.
2. The Musella Foundation, along with the Brad Kaminsky Foundation and Unlocking Brain Tumors, has formed a new organization – the Grey Ribbon Crusade - to get brain tumor organizations and individuals to work together to speed up the search for the cure by quickly funding important research projects together. We now have 44 non-profit organizations (including VABC) and hundreds of individuals from all 50 states working together. Visit greyribboncrusade.org for details. We already funded 7 important research projects and are picking up steam!
3. We are working with the members of the Grey Ribbon Crusade to launch the Brain Tumor Text Challenge, in time for Brain Tumor Awareness Month (May). We ask YOU to make a $5 donation by texting BRAIN to 40579. The $5 donation will be charged to your cell phone bill. Then ask 5 of your friends to do the same. A one-time charge of $5.00 will be added to your mobile phone bill. In addition to your $5.00 donation, standard text messaging rates may apply. Most cell carriers are participating, but if your does not, or if you prefer to donate by credit card, you can make the $5 donation online at http://greyribboncrusade.org/donate
Please help us spread word of this fundraiser. Go to http://greyribboncrusade.org/text.cfm for details and sample flyers that you can send out!
4. The Musella Foundation testifies at ODAC hearing for Avastin for Brain Tumors! I addressed the Oncologic Drug Advisory Committee on 3/31/2009 as one of the patient advocates. I presented data from our ongoing Brain Tumor Virtual Trial, along with 1,300 letters of support from our members, which helped sway the committee to vote unanimously for approval! The FDA will consider the ODAC vote and make a final decision by May 5th. You can see my testimony at http://virtualtrials.com/fda2009.cfm
5. We are planning 2 conferences for patients, families, friends and health care providers. A basic introductory conference in NJ on May 9th and an advanced conference in Oregon Sept 18th and 19th. See http://www.virtualtrials.com/news.cfm for details!
Al Musella, DPM
Musella Foundation For Brain Tumor Research & Information, Inc
1100 Peninsula Blvd
Hewlett, NY 11557