Save your sanity, time & money!

Need solutions for the medication, medical appliances and/or medical travel that you can't afford? READ EMPOWER Yourself.

A Health Information Management professional, I survived a life-threatening emergency with information that only a person of my professional experience would know. And I’m sharing it!

Thursday, May 21, 2015

I'm Where I Need to Be, I Just Didn't Know it.

B'SD

3 Sivan, 5775

I'm mentally and emotionally preparing for the holiday of Shavuot, and thought of an interesting slice of life story to share with you. It happened the day before yesterday in the late afternoon/early evening.

I was rushing to meet a friend giving me a ride to a distant city so I could run necessary errands there in a short span of time. 

Somehow I had not thought of taking my street map with me, and lost my way. 

Eventually I received a message on my cellphone. It indicated that the gentleman doing the driving would be leaving earlier than we'd planned. I needed to arrive to his office faster than I'd thought.

I began to feel frustrated with myself, frantic at the thought of missing the ride (it would have led to several disappointed and inconvenienced people depending on me to arrive in a timely manner) and quite foolish.

A friend tried to guide me via cellphone to the meeting point I sought, and managed to misdirect me into the opposite direction that I needed. We shared an uncomfortable silence as we realized that.

I was unhappy in the 104-degree heat, tired of carrying a heavy bag, and desperate for a quick solution.

My friend begged forgiveness for having misguided a very pressed-for-time me and then berated herself. 

I interrupted her self-flagellation by saying "Stop. I know what's going on I've been through this sort of situation before. Several things are going kerflooey in rapid succession, I have few to zero options and I need to stop what I'm doing to realize that GOD is controlling the situation. I'm not supposed to freak out. 

"I need to keep things in perspective. GOD is running the show. If I can manage to keep my mood in control, He'll pull some nifty trick out of His heavenly sleeves. Who knows? Maybe I'll win the lottery," I laughed. "I'm going to trust my instincts and head in the direction I believe I need. You did your best and I appreciate that."

We ended our cellphone call, I walked a bit, then I hailed a taxi in the hope that I'd quickly meet the guy giving me a ride before he headed out of town. And I wondered "Which blessing is heading my way?"

I entered the taxi and calmly told the driver where I needed to be and in a BIG hurry. He turned around and asked "Are you kidding? It's down the street."





We drove to the juncture I needed within a minute, as I realized that an essential street sign had been missing from its designated spot. No wonder I'd felt lost and confused. But as things turned out, I had been right where I needed to be.

I laugh to think back to yesterday's mad dash to the meet-up, that I'd used a life lesson well instead of condemning myself or my friend, and realized that "I'm where I need to be, I just didn't know it." 

Life's full of such situations. They can help us to grow, or to appreciate the growth we've made.

Growing past your limits is a spiritual activity. I'm sure that you have "I'm where I need to be, I just didn't know it," life lessons to heed, too. Enjoy the moments when you get things right. They're wonderful.

If you wish, let me know the blessings that come your way.

Happy Shavuot (it begins Saturday night). I call it the international bar and bat mitzva party of the Jewish People.






Buy the E-book or print edition of EMPOWER Yourself to Cope with a Medical Challenge





Face Your Medical Problems with Dignity. Face Your Future with Optimism.

Fill your life with self-confidence, one step at a time.



1 comment:

Batya said...

This post has been included in the latest  Combined Havel Havelim (Post-Shavuot) and Kosher Cooking Carnival, Sivan. I'd appreciate your taking a look and letting your readers know. Also visit the other blogs, comment and share. And of course you are welcome to join our Jewish blog carnival community.



Have a wonderful week!