Save your sanity, time & money!

Need solutions for the medication, medical appliances and/or medical travel that you can't afford? READ EMPOWER Yourself.

A Health Information Management professional, I survived a life-threatening emergency with information that only a person of my professional experience would know. And I’m sharing it!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Patients Need and Deserve Respect, Appropriate Assistance, and Acceptance

B'SD

22 Menachem Av 5769

Readers, I apologize to you. Despite indicating on this blog that the E-book would be published this week, I must let you know that this will not happen. I've delayed publication just a bit in order to add some critically important resource information that I learned late in the publication process.

I chose quality over speed.

Unexpected delays are not an uncommon phenomenon in the book world. My publisher is bearing with me.

Meanwhile, the therapist referenced in yesterday's blogpost has graciously given me permission to share her exact words with you. We had been participating in an online discussion, about niche life-coaching and how to market our coaching skills, via LinkedIn (a community of like-minded business people across the world). The issue put to us was: "What's The Problem With The Life Coaching Industry?"

Catch up with the conversation
as I repond to the moderator's
question and comment (that
Coaching seems appealing
but a client base builds best
with Internet marketing),
then receive the LA-based
psychotherapist's reply to me:

Hillel, every word you wrote is valuable. I market my very niche Self-Help Coaching for People Facing Illness... with referrals, social media marketing, a blog and website, speaking engagements, and by using my books (updated edition, an E-book, to be released this month) as business cards of a sort.

The back cover approbations from medical and mental health professionals impress present and potential clients of my services. They attest to my credibility as a potentially VERY helpful resource for people struggling to cope with the problems involved with illness (financial, spiritual, emotional, physical, and an insider's knowledge base of wonderful options that laymen can't imagine to seek out). The "Net has definitely raised my public profile. I'm fascinated to see the diversity among my Twitter followers and blog followers... Now I'm strategizing to prepare a Facebook tool for leading paid-participation webinars.

Onward.

Yocheved Golani
and http://www.yochevedgolani.com/

Here's the therapist's reply to my thoughts:

Jaelline Jaffe PhD, LMFT
Lemon-Aid Counseling, Licensed Psychotherapist and author

Yocheved, I'm interested in reading more about you and what you do. As a psychotherapist in So Calif, one of my specializations is working with people affected by medical conditions - individuals as well as family members.

Most illness is also related to stress, either as cause or effect, and when people bring their concerns to doctors, they usually get very little attention to their emotional needs (doctors have neither the time nor training to help in this regard).

I have developed 12-week group therapy program to help people deal with the sadness, anger, worry, guilt, or other strong feelings associated with their medical problems, and to find themselves again as a person, not just as a patient. I intend to market this program to other professionals so they can help people in their own areas.

Haven't yet figured the ins and outs of using twitter, etc for business. I am just getting started with a blog. So I will look forward to seeing your other pages and learning from you, as well! Hoping to get to know you!



OK, I hope that exchange
enlightens you about why
I wrote both books.

Dr. Jaffe points out that
people facing illness get
little attention for their
emotional needs.

But I'd already known that,
from both sides
of the hospital bed.

As you'll soon read in
EMPOWER Yourself to
Cope with a Medical Challenge:

"A Note from the Author

Before this workbook continues further, I wish to comment on its purpose: it is a tool for strengthening your resolve. Emotions go on a rollercoaster all their own when a person learns of the medical and/or emotional/spiritual crisis that seems about to engulf them. Take heart; that’s a sign of being human, of being normal. Despite your yearning to master and to control the situation you’re in – or even to get rid of it, reality dictates that you remain calm and logical. The temptations to go ballistic are innumerable. We all suffer with that problem.

The mark of a refined human being, a 'decent person,' is that he or she behaves pleasantly and intelligently despite the pain, setbacks and sadness of the problem in their life. In the 21st century, however, a huge sense of confusion clouds our thinking: we became used to instant solutions back in the 20th century. Technological advances gave us instantly cooked food zapped in microwaves. We advanced from s-l-o-w cyber communication to real-time faxes, Instant Messaging, quickly received and responded to E-mail, cell phones, PDAs, blackberries and more. We lost the sense of having to wait for results. That loss of perspective affects our understanding of emotional restraint and spiritual growth. They develop with the repetition of polite behavior despite inner turmoil. Time and patience are crucial factors for becoming refined individuals. They’re critical coping tools for medical challenges.

I pray that the humorous content and... insights within my manuscript will help you to renovate your inner life, your very soul and mind. Persist at making your character over into that of a more tolerant and flexible person. And when you fail after making or approaching success, know that our spiritual ancestors went through the same trials and errors. Psalms/tehilim are full of those thoughts. King David knew of what he wept. You do, too.

Persist in your efforts to improve your behavior and thinking patterns. Make it a hobby. Your accomplishments and lofty goals join the spiritual power of [spiritual] lessons. None of your efforts can be wasted. A universal reality makes this so."

Power to the Patient, who needs and deserves repect, appropriate assistance, and acceptance.


Yocheved Golani
Coping with a Medical Crisis?
Make the Changes You Need in Your Life

No comments: